Site Navigation

Father’s Rights

In Texas, an unmarried father has few legal rights to his child unless he has properly acknowledged paternity—even if he is declared the father on the child’s birth certificate. If he wants to enforce his rights as the father, a biological father must establish a “legal” relationship to his child.

father's rights and paternity attorney

In order to establish the legal relationship of a parent, a putative father must take steps to establish the parent-child relationship between himself and the child. The law establishing the parent-child relationship is complex, and a man who wants to be a father to his child should take steps to establish the legal relationship. Otherwise, the mother of the child may deny the father access, communication, visitation, or any role in caring for the child.

If you are not married to the child’s mother and are a dad who wants to take part in supporting and raising your child, you need a zealous advocate to represent your interests and those of the child. The process can be straightforward and simple if the mother of your child wants the same thing. But if she does not want you in your child’s life, establishing paternity and securing one’s rights as a parent can be both complicated and confusing. You are going to need the guidance and support of an experienced advocate.

Attorney Glen W. Wood will provide the zealous advocacy that you deserve. With over three decades of experience in Texas family law, he can help you throughout the entire process, securing your role and involvement in your child’s life and future.

Call Glen W. Wood, Attorney at Law at (817) 934-7101 for a Consultation!

Divorced Father’s Rights

In Texas, there are about 1.3 million people (over 15 years of age) who are divorced. In the year 2018, Texas had a divorce rate of 2.6 for every 1000 inhabitants. Divorce may be a decision made by one or both parties of a marriage, but it certainly doesn’t just affect the couple. It can be especially tough, confusing, and complicated when children are involved.

man watching family sunset

Reports show that over 60% of divorcing spouses have children. This means that over a million children are affected by divorce every single year. And because such a life event can have a lasting impact on their well-being, prioritizing their needs, interests, and welfare during the entire process is highly important.

If you are a divorcing father, you need competent and zealous legal representation to protect your rights and those of your children. Glen W. Wood, Attorney at Law, is here for you! As an advocate in family law, Glen W. Wood stands ready to help you clearly understand your rights and all of the options you have available to you.

The Texas Family Code provides that the sex of a parent cannot be used as a basis in making decisions concerning child custody. The best interests of your child will always be the prime consideration. In a contested case, a party seeking to be appointed Sole or Joint Managing Conservator with the right to determine the residence of the children must prove to the court that doing so is in the best interests of the child or children. You need the assistance of a sharp and seasoned attorney. Attorney Glen W. Wood is ready to protect your role in your child’s life while safeguarding their welfare and security.

Texas Paternity Law

father and son family law child custody

Under Texas law, a child born to unmarried parents technically does not have a legal father, and the father does not have legal rights and responsibilities to his child—including visitation, possession, and child support. In order for a man to exercise his legal rights, rights, privileges, and duties as a father, paternity must be established.

Here in Texas, paternity can be established voluntarily or involuntarily. If both parents agree that the father is, in fact, the biological father of the child, they can establish paternity voluntarily by signing an Acknowledgment of Paternity and file it with the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

However, if either party disputes paternity, establishing paternity involuntarily may be done through the family court. The court may order a DNA testing, and if it confirms paternity, the court can then enter an order adjudicating parentage of the child ruling that the biological father is, in fact, the legal father of the child. The court then will issue orders concerning custody and support of the child.

If you currently seek to establish or contest paternity, you have the right to be represented by a competent and compassionate attorney. Glen W. Wood is committed to providing you with the guidance, support, and zealous representation you need as your case proceeds through the legal system. Glen W. Wood, Attorney at Law, is prepared to help fathers protect their rights and maintain their relationship with their children.

Texas Family Law Attorney

Glen W. Wood, Attorney at Law, has been a trial attorney in Texas for more than 33 years. For more than 33 years, Attorney Wood has provided zealous representation to his clients with family law matters, including divorce, child support, child custody, paternity, and father’s rights. He can do the same for you!

If you are a father that wants to establish or contest paternity, Glen W. Wood is here to walk with you and guide you through the legal process.

Let’s Talk Now- Consultation

Father's Rights glen w wood attorney logo 300x65

For most of us, our family is more important than anything. Unfortunately, when marriages and relationships do not work out the way we want, a need arises to invoke the legal process. The assistance of a competent attorney is invaluable. If you are looking for the assistance of a competent attorney to help protect your rights and secure the role you play in your children’s lives, Glen W. Wood is such an attorney. Whether you are struggling with divorce, child support, child custody, paternity, father’s rights, he has the compassion and competence to guide you through a process that is often hostile and unfamiliar to the parties involved.

Call Glen W. Wood, Attorney at Law today at (817) 934-7101 for your Consultation!